Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice For The New College Baseball Parent"

Is that one of the better pieces of advice to a parent – in that they better learn to think of it as team-first when watching games, and learn to root for the team, as opposed to just going to the games to see your own kid play?

My son earned his opportunities to prove he belonged one inning (pinch hit, pinch run, defense) at a time over the first half of freshman year. When others failed he got his big chance. But it’s all part of how the player fits into the team.

I can’t imagine the parents of the two kids my son started alternately filling in for we’re rooting for him to succeed at the expense of their kid. But from a team perspective parents pull for the team.

I did witness parents sour on their kid’s situation. If you get vocal on this stuff the only people who want to be near you is other soured parents. They’re the same kind of people who probably bitch around the water cooler at work. I would think it makes for a terrible time.

Never compare you kid to another player. His parents are likely in the stands. If you feel the need to have a private conversation how well do you really know the person/parent and will they talk? It’s better to remain quiet on the negatives.

When comparison conversations arise the best response is only acknowledging what is being said. Don’t agree or disagree. Parents will come to figure out you don’t play that game.

Last edited by RJM