Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice For The New College Baseball Parent"

Perspective. Playing in college can seem so big and great and sometimes daunting, but your kid's happiness is the most important thing. I think I transitioned from wanting my kid to play forever (which I would love), to wanting him to play as long as it is still what he wants.  I just watched The Weight of Gold, and it reinforced what I had been feeling about a lot of kids who walk into schools with so much expectation on their shoulders. I think some of them quit loving it but are so concerned with letting people down that they keep playing.  My biggest concern during this first year of college was about how he was and not how he played or practiced.  

I agree that you should go to as many games as you can.  You get to know more about the guys that your son spends all his time with, get to know parents and enjoy cheering for the team.  It doesn't last forever and you can't get the time back.  Even if your son doesn't play that game, you get to see them and may get to grab dinner.  Once they move out, those things become a lot less frequent and more important.

Last edited by baseballhs