Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice Needed - 13U Player Most Important Things Before High School"

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:

Old school,

I don't want to dissuade any kid form lifting, I am a big proponent. But since kids develop at different ages, before you get your kids lifting weights they should probably talk to a trainer or other knowledgeable individual. If you start lifting weights too early it will either not do any good or can do more harm, than good.

Several players in my sons class were allowed to lift at the High School, with their parents permission because they were physically developed enough that it would do some good. Neither of my sons were able to take advantage of that because they just had not developed enough physically. So instead they used Bands, push up, Pull ups, ... etc. Nothing that would put too much stress on their developing body. Many of the few kids who were allowed to lift early did not keep it up, lifting into High school because they were already , bigger, stronger and faster than their peers. Eventually several of these players were passed up.

Was this because they started lifting early or because they did not have a passion for it, I do not know.

Everything else I agree with. Make sure the game is still fun. If he enjoys it he practice more and work on his own. Find some drills for him to do.

We sent our sons to some local camps run by High School coaches, They were money makers but they still got some instruction with kids their own age.

bolded is spot on, in my opinion any kid at 13 should be lifting...under the proper direction. i started my current 15 when he was 13. i put him with a trainer for a "month or two" for him to learn the ropes...LOL 24 months later he still works out with him 3 times a week off season ans 2 during!

it is much easy the 2nd time around as you have more perspective!