Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice Needed - 13U Player Most Important Things Before High School"

For starters, you sound like you have your head on straight, WestCoastPapa -- so your son is ahead of the game already.

JP is a 2016, so two or three years ahead of your son (and I agree that it matters a lot if your son is in the 7th or 8th grade, for the reasons articulated).

Here's what's worked for us, for what it's worth.

My Role:

• Nurture of a love of the game -- first, last and always. That means being supportive, listening, rooting for our Cardinals together, and always reminding him that baseball is supposed to be FUN.
  • Open doors. Do the research necessary to get him with the right men, and spend the money necessary to help him achieve his dream. And on this one, be willing to admit mistakes. We've left a coach or two, and we've looked back on a trip or two and wondered why we went. Get over it and move on.
  • Let coaches coach, and reinforce what they say.
  • Play a lot of catch with him, and always say yes when he wants to practice. We installed a full-size batting cage, with lights, in the backyard -- because JP is first and foremost a hitter.
  • Let him work through his own struggles. This one's tough for me. It requires holding back when he's demanding perfection in a cage workout, for instance, and gets frustrated.
  • HAVE FUN!

His Role:

• Hustle always, and show true commitment to the game.
  • Demand continuous improvement.
  • Be coachable.
  • Be a leader.
  • Avoid being the victim. Own it -- no matter what. And yes, that includes bad calls by umps.
  • ALWAYS support your teammates.
  • HAVE FUN!