Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice Needed - 13U Player Most Important Things Before High School"

WestCoastPapa,

Very good that you have reached out to get opinions....I'm a pitching instructor, and my son is a 2017 LHP...so not too far removed...  We have done much of what has been recommended.....

Weights are great, but please use the common sense approaches that were mentioned in the previous posts....Body weight workouts, or plyo workouts are great, along with long toss...however be careful there as well, as many 13u (7th grader) growth plates are still not fully closed, and extreme throwing distances can be dangerous at that age....just be careful.

The biggest takeaway from this post I think you have grasped, is I don't think ANY player at the 7th grade or 13u age should be exclusively any (ONE) position...he should at least be playing / learning two positions....my son is a young freshman, he's 14, and doesn't turn 15 until April 2014...and he has fought hard to be valuable at other positions other than a  PO (pitcher only) as a 6'1 180 lbs. LHP Frosh. sitting in the low 80's, the urge has been for coaches to look / project him as only a pitcher....he plays 1B, and OF....his bat has always been loud enough that so far coaches haven't been able to keep him out of the lineup....I had to encourage him to work on his other skills....and it has paid off....as a Freshman, he will log his share of innings on the varsity in the field, and get his share of innings on the mound.

If your boy is a CF on a high end travel team, he likely is there because he is a great athlete....so he could easily play / learn other positions....IF for some reason when he gets to HS, there is a better CF in front of him, he may make the higher level team by being valuable at other spots.....catcher is always a position that is sought after...and some kids love the action behind the dish....or maybe infield.....

Having a parent that is proactive, as you are, will help him a lot....provided you give the opportunity, and he seizes the opportunity...then step aside.  Even in my case, although I have the ability to instruct him all the way through HS, at this point, Jr. doesn't even hear me anymore...

Best of luck!