Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice Needed - 13U Player Most Important Things Before High School"

NY posted:

Hi,

Hello 😀 my kiddo is currently 12, 7th graded so I was reading the advice! Just curious since everyone has the experience, any new advise or tips, or words of caution! Also any updates on the kids? What’s your tips for the next generation! 

Not much.   I would provide the same advice I did six years ago with an even greater focus on academics.   I've learned the kids that really want to be the best (athletically, academically or both) will work for it, and not let anything get in their way.   I have three boys, and I saw thousands of travel, high school, and college games.   All of my kids loved baseball, but for different reasons and in different ways from the time they started coach pitch to their last pitch in high school or college baseball.   Two of them decided they want to go to big state schools rather than play baseball at a small college.   Good decisions on their part.   One of my son's was incredibly passionate about baseball and also about his academics, so he found a place that would allow him to do both.  Good decision on his part.   My wife and I became sounding boards as they entered high school as our county has specialty programs...engineering, health, business, etc.. that students can select in 8th grade.  We did the same as they exited high school and prepared for college.   Give the kids the rope to make responsible decisions.  Looking back, I'm amazed that my two oldest kids selected a high school (20 mins away...in a very different part of town...away from their friends) with an engineering specialty.   They made this life choice in 8th grade, and it paid off big time when they applied to their respective colleges!  Both are practicing engineers today.   It blows my mind.

Back to baseball....Those that want to keep playing baseball have to work hard at it, because it gets more difficult to stay on the field as time goes by.   There are no shortcuts.