Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice Needed"

I made this post the first time over 3 years ago in respond to a poster who reported similar issues as you:

My son had some troubles with his HS coach for reasons we never could put our finger on but as result, he wrote one of his first decent songs....

Destiny

They talk to you like they really know
Tell you you're not good enough
And that's just the way it goes
You know deep down that they're making a mistake
And you just don't know exactly how much you can take

(Chorus)
It's my life, it's my choice
I'm the only one who can control my destiny
My pride and my voice
And I'll only do what I think's best for me

There's always something wrong with
everything you do
It doesn't matter what it is, the problem is with you
And every step you take, they try to hold you back
Instead of seeing what you got, they focus on your lack

My pride and my voice

So walk around those people standin' in your way
Keep on headin' toward your goals every
single day
Don't let what others say affect the things
you do
The words that shape your life should only come from you

My pride and my voice
My life it's my choice
My pride and my voice
and I'll only do what I think's best for me
(fade out)

He never quit and kept focused on his goals.
He's still playing baseball and that particular coach went back to coaching just football so I guess they both got what they wanted.

Dreams are great, but at some point you have to get out of bed and make it a reality.

Looking back, it's all still true.
He is still playing baseball on the #1 ranked team in the NAIA and contributing to the team. He's also still writing music. I have no idea what his former coach is doing and neither does he. I'm quite sure he doesn't care.

He did what many here have suggested. He took the verbal beatings with his mouth shut and his head high. (When even other parents noticed and made comments to me about it, I knew it wasn't just my son saying these things...that there was truth in his version that he was being singled out for beratings that we will never understand). He kept his head up and did his job whenever he was given the ball.
He never doubted that he belonged on the field. He learned a lot about himself and how to handle his life through those years. He still holds to that and knows he belongs on the mound and owns it whenever he takes the hill.
In fact, he owns whatever he takes on and does it with pride.

Some of the best advice you can give your son at this point, decide for yourself if you want to be a part of this team. If the answer is yes, then do whatever it takes and take whatever comes to be a leader for the younger players and a contributer to the team as a whole.

I personally think you learn far more when you fight your way through periods of adversity than skating through your moments of achievement.