Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice Needed!"

A close friend's son is LD and is finishing his senior year of college. This kid has worked his fanny off to maintain a C average, putting in longer hours than most if not all of his teammates. He is a wonderful hard-working young man, it just takes more academic work for him than others. Last semester, a professor called him in and told him that (1) he was passing the course, (2) he knew he was working like a dog, (3) taking the exam could only hurt, so (4) have a nice Christmas, you passed. Wonderfully perceptive professor.

The reason for telling you all this is that a big D-1 might not be as good a choice for your son, if you don't sense that this kind of attention is likely. My son is not LD; perhaps HH (hard-headed), but after a disastrous first semester academically, an English professor took him under his wing, personally assisted him with finer grammar issues a couple times at his home, at 11:00 p.m. (normal time for a 19 YO, a tad late for a 40 something professor), and provided wonderful personal attention and academic advice. I'll forever be grateful to this gentleman as I doubt my son would've pulled things out this semester had this professor not stepped in. As much as I love my alma mater, it's a far bigger school and this kind of attention would be very unlikely. Just something to consider as there are smaller D-1's and lots of excellent D-2's that are smaller and perhaps worth considering.