Skip to main content

Reply to "."

It's funny my first post has a AZ Fall Classic undertone as it was there last year that I was introduced to this website by a member. Been keenly following ever since. My son attended AZ Jr Fall Classic last year. No D1s due to covid but several D3s in attendance. A few followed up immediately after the tourney w my '22. Its a great event (even during covid). One of my '22s final choices he met at the event (Johns Hopkins). For very HAs like Hopkins, MIT and CalTech the SAT needs to be 1530+ for these schools. For example, the floor at Hopkins this year is 1510 (median 50% percentile) for a recruited slot consideration. HA D1 is a crap shoot IMO. My '22 was 8th ranked by position by CA PBR w 4.0/1550 SAT and had very little interest from Ivies but strong interest from Patriot and public HA D1 (he ended up committing to William & Mary this Summer). I would STRONGLY advise REALLY understanding the needs of each target school with respect to position. Just because PG commits shows 2 OFs committed does not mean they are not looking for a third or fourth for example. Or vice versa they may not need a HS SS for the class. As for the HA D3s they really heated up this Summer (end of summer prior to Senior yr) but pre-reads happened well ahead of the Summer. All the HA D3 coaches were fantastic, honest, and frankly seemed more focused and prepared than many of the D1 schools. I share this so folks don't assume there is any drop off w the D3 group at any level of the process. The last point I'll make is that the only thing that you can count on in the process is change. Recruiting will heat up and cool down with some schools, some schools you have never spoken to will call, and even when your son commits its not over until signing day and even beyond. We lived this roller coaster even ex-post commitment when the head coach at W&M recently left to take another job. Thankfully the asst coach has been promoted and the admin has been great but the situation could have been really challenging. For example, the head coach at another of my son's final choices, U Chicago, left a few weeks ago as well and has put a teammate in a really tough spot given how they do their process/admissions. And I cant tell how many of my '22s friends have decommitted and "re-opened" their recruiting process over the past 2-3 months. All excellent players, Area Code participants in most cases, and are having a tough time. I am hopeful your '23 will see greener pastures in the process. I have a '24 too so I have to stay optimistic! Good luck, I'll be rooting for you.