Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice on exposure path"

At this stage try not to get caught up in all the news you see about early commits.  I am in the northeast as well and my 2016 played on "elite" travel teams all along the way.  There is very little college recruiting of northeast players going on until Jr year Varsity HS baseball - then intense recruiting during summer travel ball between Jr. - Sr. year.  Some players may be "seen" playing between Soph-Jr year and I'm sure lots of them are doing camps, showcases, etc but I don't know of many NE players who commit that year (there are some on PG right now but not a lot).

This probably conflicts with what you're seeing/hearing about all these 2017, 2018 and 2019 commits but my take is that many (if not most) of those players are from other regions.  Even the absolute best players that I'm aware of from the NE (in my limited baseball world) signed D1 this summer (as 2016s) - I'm talking PG rated 9s and 9.5s who throw in the 90s.   We have a 2018 PG rated 9.5 player on our HS team who started last year as a freshman.  I'm very curious to see what will happen with him now that the trend seems to be early commits.  

I can't comment on the stats you listed other than to say that it seems like 14u the summer after 8th grade is the correct level (that's where my 8th grader will play) and if you are comfortable with the team and coaches and he's competitive then I would leave him there for the time being.  You have time to assess and change teams/course when he's in HS (in my opinion).

Last edited by MKbaseballdad