Skip to main content

Reply to "advice on odd situation."

RJM posted:
Bullseye posted:
RJM posted:

Bullseye, your profile says Northeast. What high school conference in what state did you play? It might provide a little insight to whether or not you’re the rare baseball player who get get it back after years of not playing and play D1 college ball. Did you play other sports? Did you excel?

KVAC in Maine. 

I played hockey for 5 years. Was a decent player, not amazing though. 

I live part time in Maine. I’m familiar with Maine high school sports. It’s very unrealistic to think you can go from a northern Maine conference that plays fourteen games to playing for Michigan or Penn. You probably see a lot of 75-80 mph pitching. The handful of players in Maine who have gone D1 are usually hooked up with out of state travel teams in the summer. It’s so they can play the kind of competition that demonstrates they’re potential D1 players. 

Currently there are two pitchers who touch 90 in the entire state. One is at South Portland. The other is at Deering. Both are committed to Vanderbilt. Chances are the Deering kid goes in the first round as an outfielder. A third in the upper 80’s is committed to Maine. He’s at South Portland.  They’re in southern Maine. You’re not facing them. Who are you facing to prove you can hit pitching that’s 88-92 mph?

Go to a Maine game. Sit as up close as possible. Ask yourself if you honestly think you can play at that level. Then consider Michigan would most likely beat the snot out of them. 

I’m not trying to be mean. I’m giving you the reality of the situation. You have an opportunity to get a great education at a great school. Ann Arbor is a fun place to go to college. You will have a lifetime alumni experience following football and basketball. While hockey isn’t a big time college exposure sport Michigan had a great hockey program to watch. Put a ribbon and bow on the experience by playing club ball.

Note to board: Maine rarely has two major conference studs in one year. Often there isn’t one. The best year was 2004. That class had two go to Vanderbilt (Ryan Flaherty, Orioles), another committed to Miami (Mark Rogers, Brewers) went high in the draft and signed. A third (Charlie Furbush, Mariners) went D3 and transferred to LSU. A fourth (Ryan Reid, Pirates) went to the CAA, increased his velocity and made it to the majors. 

RJM, 

i asked for honesty and you have given it. I appreciate what your saying, even if it is tougher to deal with. Thanks for responding back