Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice on Specialization for 8th Grader"

AdamsBB: I agree with Roadrunner above. Versatility is good! I actually thought the reason my son played out of position in HS, was to make up for others who weren't as versatile. Son's college profile listed that he started 6 different positions in HS (no P, 1B, or C). RipkenFanSon was actually listed as "Utility" when the incoming classlist was forwarded from the college to his recruiting class. He was told the position he filled was for an "Athletic MI who could play the OF."

As in all cases, if you know that you will play (and hit), and be pencilled in, play that position to the best possible to help your team win. With son, he just hoped that he would start and hit #1 or #2 in lineup and told enough time in advance so he knew which glove to get out of his bag and warm up.

Based on your son's current situation, I wouldn't steer him towards PO, or spend additional $$ training for catcher. In summary, play all positions he can, earn the most innings, have fun, help the team win, and keep the grades up!