Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice on Specialization for 8th Grader"

Some great advice above. In my experience most 8th graders come to HS out of position. Meaning that the difference between 8th grade and Varsity baseball can be vast. The HS coach will most likely play him where he fits for that team. That may or may not be his best position, each school is soooo different. This can lead to the vast majority of parental bitching and moaning at times but usually it works itself out. I always have said that hitting is the great equalizer. If you hit, they will find a spot.

I used to chuckle when kids would come into the program and fill the info sheet out and put that they played P,C,SS,3B,OF!!!! So you’re telling me you have no position!! Lol.At some point you have to start to zero in on something and for some being a PO is a good thing. I also , as a former 3 sport athlete in HS myself, don’t believe there’s as much benefit in HS to doing so nowadays and can see the downsides also. It’s situational for each kid. And stop talking about Patrick Mahomes and guys like that because they are aliens and not like 99.9999999% of us. We would have pitchers come to us after playing basketball or swimming in the winter and each year it was detrimental for them and their performance and development. Again it’s situational.

bigger, faster, stronger is always good, good grades are worth their weight in gold. The first question (maybe 2nd) from every college coach will be “how are his grades?”. Given most kids get more on the academic/merit side, including mine, that will go a very long way for most players.