Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice on Specialization for 8th Grader"

My son is in 8th grade and , will be looked at by the HighSchool Coach, either this Summer or next Fall/Winter. Almost all Freshmen play on the Freshman teams. My question is: Should he train to specialize for one or two positions , or  try to continue as a Utility Player? He currently plays on two Select teams for one coach and Pitches, catches, outfield and third base and has played alot of First base in years past. He's 6'1/4" 170 lbs and fast but not super quick, so his pop time is not the best and he's not quick enough for SS. Coach plays him everywhere he needs a position filled and he does pretty good at each position , but i don't think his body style was meant for playing catcher ( in the long run), but maybe i'm wrong. He loves to pitch and is getting pretty good at it and has always been one of the best hitters on his teams, so i'm sure the coach will want him somewhere when he's not pitching. I'd hate to spend the time and money for lessons and training on a certain position , if the coach needs him somewhere else. Any advice would be appreciated.

My son's experience was most coaches like versatile players who can play multiple positions.   It gives the coach more options.  If a player can hit a coach will find a way to get him in the lineup.

In travel ball son primarily played C and 3B, but did actually play every single position including pitcher.  When he got to JV (8th grade) he was 3B and C.   At the Varsity level he played C his sophomore year, 3B his junior year and 1B his senior year.  Coach loved the fact he could move him were he needed him.

It wasn't until college (JuCo & D2) that he began to really specialize.  For JuCo he was recruited as a 1B, but his freshman year was a mix of 1B and DH with a little bit of OF mixed in.   As a sophomore he was primarily at 1B (started most games).   At the D2 he was 1B and OF, but mostly 1B.

As I said, hitting will get you in the lineup and noticed.  The D2 coach never saw my son play - son had the 2nd most # of doubles (27) nationally his sophomore year.  Shortly after he finished JuCo he received a text requesting him to contact them.    As one of the parents said, "He's an RBI hitting machine."