Skip to main content

Reply to "Advice on Specialization for 8th Grader"

The coaches were more impressed with the multi-sport athletes and "utility". Do not specialize on one position as if you're a SS, the coaches will tell you - I have 6 of those. What else and where else do you play?

During the recruitment for my son, the D1 coaches were most impressed with the athleticism. He included in game dunking videos in his profile he sent coaches and that got the most attention and discussion. They recruit athletes.

Not sure what the limit or guidance is for infielders or catchers, but 1000 x your age (give or take) is a great limit on an arm.  Playing on 2 travel teams and HS might be a tad much, unless one is local and another is travel, but at 8th and 9th grade, that isn't really necessary and gets really expensive. Save your time and money for later and let the kids be kids. Specialize position later.

One of the stories that stuck with me through the process started when we were 11U and playing in a national tourney in East Cobb Complex in ATL. One of the scouts there at the 18U event said if "I had twins of equal talent, equal grades, separated at birth and one grew up in Texas and another in Ohio. I'll take the guy from Ohio 9 times out of 10 as the kid from Ohio has to take a break and probably plays another sport. The kids in Texas can play year round and come to me hurt or worn out. Year round ball is not advised and you should document first pitch of season/last pitch of season and breaks."