Skip to main content

Reply to "Advisor (Agent) / Draft Questions"

coachld posted:
TPM posted:
coachld posted:

I can answer a few of your questions as we are going through the process with our 2018. I was told that it is highly recommended to get an adviser...which we did. We were fortunate in that we are working with a local guy who came well recommended. He has been awesome. We will actually meet with him early next week to get the full lowdown on the draft along with who is currently interested and what to expect on draft day. Chances are very slim that my son will choose minor league ball over college but we are keeping all options open for him right now. The only obligation we have to our adviser is that we are honest and forthcoming in regards to my son's history and if my son is drafted a 5% commission. If our son is not drafted or foregoes the draft, their is no obligation on our part. I received a booklet with obligation of agency/adviser but don't have it with me now. That's about all I have right now. Best of luck to you all!

5% commission. Wow. If your son was drafted with a  100k signing bonus thats 30k off the top, taxes and commission. That's 30k off the top. Do you feel he is worth that out of HS.

Of course he is going to be great, that's 5k for more or less doing nothing.

There is another discussion going on the board, you should check it out.  

JMO

No offense but since you have no problem being direct...I will be direct. How do you know that my son's adviser has done nothing? Maybe a more appropriate response might have asked what my son's agent has done to deserve a 5% commission. Since you commented, I will tell you any way.

He has been incredibly helpful. He handles almost all of the scout contacts. He has built a relationship with my son's HC and gets pitching schedule from him and sends out to scouts which means my son can focus on his HS baseball season and I can focus on enjoying my son's senior season. Early in the season, there were 2 scouts in to see player at local college. That did not work out, so he contacted them about my son and we ended up meeting with both. He has set up BP sessions when we have been out of town with local scouts, one of whom recommended my son and that specific team is now interested in drafting my son. My son was a late bloomer so when we were looking for a college home, he was checking in with coaching contacts at various Power 5 schools with several schools expressing interest post-draft (after losing players to draft). We are meeting with him early next week so that he can give us the ins/outs of the draft and answer all of our questions. He does not pressure our family in regards to draft and has stated countless times that he is in this for the long run if need be and has no problems with my son choosing to go to college and wait until after his junior year.

Also, for those who don't know...typical commission is 4-5% for baseball advisers. Long story short, I am incredibly thankful that this guy was recommended to us!

Everything that the guy is doing now is for nothing, until your son signs a contract.  Thats his choice.

How will he earn that 5% AFTER the draft?

If you feel that is a fair commission for your son to give up part of his bonus, if drafted, than so be it.