Skip to main content

Reply to "Advisor expectations"

Our son went through 3 advisors/agents with similar experiences as your son.  He finally settled on an agent who had played at his college before he did and had become a good friend during college.  That relationship has been great ever since, including through a very bad season and two injuries but also a couple of trips to the big leagues for our son.  And its not like that agent doesn't have a lot of BIG clients to take up his time - he does.

I don't know what to tell you other than it somehow seems to reflect how much they value or 'project' your player.  Or does it say something about them?  I don't know?  Its a business and anyone who thinks its personal probably isn't correct.  It is clear to me in hindsight that some of them were looking for a 'quick buck' off a signing bonus or fast ride through the minors...when that didn't look likely they moved on without any notification.  One such advisor (lasted for about a year) came onboard during our son's college senior year (he was #3).  Told me personally there was 'no charge,' it was just an 'investment' by their company because they saw 'promising potential.'  A year later when things were slogging along, the guy sent our son a 'bill' for his services (which were virtually nothing).  Another year later when the guy accidentally called my cell phone (mistaking my number for a national crosschecker with the same name), he embarrassingly made stupid excuses as to why he faded off.

Sadly, I still remember our son's HS advisor emailing me after our son was struck in the face in college in Cape Cod summer league.  Asked if he was ok?  (No phone call).  I responded that I thought it was gonna be ok.  We never, ever heard from him again.  I saw the guy at a college game a couple years later when our son pitched a CG over ASU (he was 'advising' an ASU player), the guy never said a word.  I thought it was...I dunno, rude?  So I finally just walked up to him and said 'hi.'  He acted as if he hadn't noticed me a few rows in front of him all weekend.

It is, what it is.  My advice?  Move on to someone who cares.  It takes a while to figure out who genuinely gives a rats a$$ about your son.  Or at least it did for me/us.  Trouble is, we only get to do this once and once you figure that out it could be too late.

If I sound bitter, I am not.  Absolutely not.  I really don't care.  Just things I observed and passing them on with hope you'll figure it out quicker than me.

Last edited by justbaseball