Skip to main content

Reply to "Advisor expectations"

roothog66 posted:

When you consider that many mlb team offices now specifically hire scouts whose only job is to follow underclassmen, I fail to see how it hurts.

I don't know - maybe it depends on the kid?  And the parent?

Looking back, I thought it was a distraction for our older son in his senior year of HS and his freshman year of college.  Advisors tried to advise to much?  Or maybe he/we weren't smart enough to keep it at a proper perspective and distance?  Caused us to pay too much attention to rankings and movement in rankings?  Or the last outing?  Too much attention to what the next crosschecker or scout might see or say?  Too much influence trying to be exerted about college choice?

And as things weren't going as well as hoped, too much pressure to rebound ASAP?  Too much information about what velo the scout from Team-X wanted to see in next outing?

Rather than just play baseball and enjoy it, there was just too much input and questions.

I'm not calling it a bad experience - I just doubt I'd do it again or at least do it the same way again.  And I'd definitely not do it any earlier.

Last edited by justbaseball