Skip to main content

Reply to "Affect of Corona on ‘21s and ‘22s"

In Virginia, school ball is suspended and at risk of never getting underway at all. 

I think if anything, this makes what players do this summer (if permitted) and fall all the more critical for recruiting.  If summer ball gets wiped out, we'll likely see multi-sport kids having to give up football if they seriously want to pursue collegiate baseball, because that's when the competition will really be happening.  I mean no offense to those who feel strongly about multi-sport guys, but the reality is, you can't get recruited if no one sees you play.  If you miss Friday night baseball tourney games, if you're too beat up to play Saturday, and you're too rusty to play well on Sunday, I don't see how you win the competition.

I don't see the prospect of the NCAA allowing an extra year of eligibility really impacting 2021's or 2022's much.  I do think that any uncommitted 2020's are going to have an even harder time than usual with late recruiting, because at a minimum, coaches aren't going to know how many offers they can afford to have out there until maybe August.

In the end, though, the fractional nature of baseball scholarships means that most players would have to (a) shell out five figures of money, net, to pursue playing in 2021, (b) risk getting beat out of their playing time by the new recruits, and (c) have to wonder whether the courses they'd be taking were worth the extra money and effort.  Moreover, the elite collegiate player is not going to pass on the pro draft to go back to school and end up coming out in the draft a year older.

As for e-mailing college coaches:  I'm usually pushing players to do this, but for now I don't see how it could do anything but get ash-canned, or perhaps even annoy them.  At least if, like us in VA, you don't have any games to invite them to come see.  Anything you could accomplish now, you can accomplish when games re-start, or perhaps when we approach summer season.