Skip to main content

Reply to "After JuCo"

Originally Posted by 2Lefties:

My question is with life after JuCo, have looked already at some of the JUCO programs and they are placing kids at higher levels but how pro-active does the student athlete and/or parent become after that Soph  year,  if he's talented will they find him, JoCo coach make a call..???.  Son is already ok with ACT/GPA requirements for most 4 years but I feel somewhat reluctant to ask about recrutement after the Fresh year but know it does happen.  Any imput is welcome

My son did 2 years at a D2 JuCo.  Towards the end of his sophomore year he was having a stellar season (broke the school record for # of doubles and was batting over .366 (playing 1B)).  He really wasn't reaching out, but he didn't have to.  He had nearly every school in the ODAC talking to him along with a few D2's.

Day after we moved him home, yet another D2 contacted him.  Went on an official visit a week later, had a good visit and a few days later a very nice scholarship offer was on the table.

FWIW - there were quite a few D2/D3 coaches at their games toward the end of the season and those coaches were definitely interested in getting JuCo players - several of his teammates were getting serious interest and offers.  The school my son eventually signed with had 1/3 of their roster from JuCo's.  There may have been some D1 coaches attending as well, but none of them talked to my son.