Skip to main content

Reply to "After You Verbally Commit"

@mjd-dad posted:

I'm going to flip this topic on its time axis ...

What does it mean when a coach or program starts to follow an underclassman in HS?

I have a 2024 that is picking up increased social media attention after the PG rankings for the class of 2024 were updated in late November, and after he completed several online college baseball Recruiting Questionnaires over the recent holiday break.

If a D1 P5 baseball program starts following my son on Instagram and on Twitter ... should we read into it that the school has identified him as a potential recruit?  Or, do schools typically follow all kids that fill out their Recruiting Questionnaire web form?

Simply put, it's the first step in a long process, and I don't believe they follow everyone that completes a questionnaire.  I will never forget driving back from the first PG 14U Select Festival, and my son was in the back seat listing all of these schools and coaches who began following him on social media after watching him on TV the night before.  It was a pretty cool moment, and a realization that the time had come to begin understanding the recruiting process.  He's now in the SEC.

If your son has any remote interest in the school, I would suggest he send the coach a message thanking the coach for following him.  Ideally, you may include the contact information for the travel ball or HS coach.  The college coach is not able to respond, however he can reach out to others if/when they want to dig a little deeper.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by LeftyDadP9