Skip to main content

Reply to "Against leg-lifting LHPs: You can instruct (or demand) that your R1s go first-move, but many won't"

I think I understand what you are talking about when it comes to the thought process of stealing bases, but I had to remember back a “few” years to when I played. Being completely honest I was a fast MIF with WTP unless you hung something, so basically I was always looking to turn that single into a double and so on.  Why don’t kids get a good jump off a LHP first move?  Because if you are going off the “first move” then the first thing you should do is take a larger than normal lead,  makes you feel really uncomfortable. Basically you know that if you make one more move to your right there is no way in hell you are getting back in time. Have you ever been picked off?  I can tell you from experience that it sucks and 99% of all people watching the game thinks your stupid. They don’t know the coach told you to go on first move they just see your dumbass running into an easy out.  

I know that isn’t the answer you probably wanted, but I would only coach this technique to a select few players. Those that are track stars. And even then it’s because the pitcher has thrown over twice and not even his mother has seen him throw over three times. Also it helps if the 1st baseman has two left feet and one arm 🙋‍♂️ because against any decent opposition (hangs his leg or even slide steps) your out if your speed isn’t elite.