Skip to main content

Reply to "Age of high school draftees"

Dominik85 posted:

bottom line is given the same Tools younger Age will be viewed as an Advantage in many cases because there is more room to grow (but still the Tools displayed are much more important than physical projection).

however don't consider just calender Age. the controversial pitching Guru mike marshall often talked about biological Age. a biologically early blooming 17 year that lifts since he is 14 might be physically closer to his expected Peak than a 19 year old late bloomer who never touched any weights.

I think the advice to the kids going to the pro showcases was to shave really close in the morning.  I remember one thread on here were some highly ranked high school senior was scheduled to attend and one poster had looked him up and mentioned that his full beard might cost him some positions in the draft.

Speaking of age, my complete fascination with Seth Beer's efforts were ever so slightly diminished (seriously - not trying to take away from his stellar performance) when I ran across his age - had he stayed in high school, he would have been 19 1/2 when he walked across the stage to get his diploma.  I still find his journey very interesting as it seems he could have excelled in pro ball and entered with the 2016 draft (he would have been on the older side of high school picks).

I've seen commercials where you can have your "effective" age determined by some type of DNA testing.  Perhaps this will become part of the standard physical required for the draft in the near future.