Skip to main content

Reply to "Age of Perfect Game Showcases?"

Originally Posted by jolietboy:
And that nothing to lose mentality is exactly what I want for him the first time he goes.  And (no offense to PG contributor to this site) but the first one I might downscale to PBR or something.  Don't know if jumping right in to PG would be best.  You (bucsfan)sound like someone I should talk to.  Would love to know where your son stood at the various age levels.   I also have a big RHP (just turned 13 this month 6'1" 180).  And there is plenty of height in the family so he is not done yet.  There are days when his swing looks great and I think he has a chance there too.  Then there are other days when I just think he will never learn to hit the breaking ball and the sooner he settles for being a PO the better!  Do you mind me asking what he was gunned at that first showcase?

PM me if you have more specific questions.  PBR  (Prep Basebal Report...big in midwest for those asking) may very well be a good option.  They are a good organization and their reach/impact is growing.  My son had just turned 15 a month prior and was 77-81 at his first showcase.  At the time, he was about 6'2, 185lbs.  Your case does sound similar.  Coming up through the ranks, there were a few years when I was convinced he'd be a better hitter than P, but that changed.  Took me a while to convince him and others (wife, etc.) the merits of focusing on pitching, but it was a good decision. But, as a former RHP, I am totally biased.  Whatever works best for your son.  But, I go back to the point one D1 Head Coach made to my son this past summer:  being a P in college baseball is one of the best situations as it relates to supply/demand and "value".  He said, "How valuable are you to your team and how much impact will you have if you are the 3rd, 4th or 5th string QB in football, or goalie in soccer, or center on basketball team.  Now, how valuable and what is your impact if you are the 3rd, 4th or 5th best P."