Skip to main content

Reply to "Age of Perfect Game Showcases?"

PBR stands for prep baseball report and it may be more just a midwest thing.  But they also do showcases but tend to be just a notch or two below the PG events.  As for What you can do with an 11 year old...  as much as he wants I suppose.  I personally am a big fan of playing on the team that is the best combination of good and plays a lot of games.  Personally I am not a big believer in paying for instruction but that is just me.  Going to a high school camp cause you want the coaches to get to know you is a good idea.  I like going to college camps because making a high school team where I live is a forgone conclusion unless you are a corpse.  Since we are not rich and when he gets older I won't be able to take him to 10 or 12 different colleges we are doing it a couple a year for a longer time period.  Have to start at an early age so we can see a variety.  If when he is 17 he just did not develop enough then we had a few years of father son fun going places and dreaming together.  If he is recruitable then we will feel more prepared.  Its a no lose situation.  And last thing but by far the most important for a young player is reps.  Reps reps and more reps.  Swinging the bat is better than him listening to somebody for 20 minutes telling him how to swing the bat.  Skip the instructors save your money for travel teams camps etc.  Look at mlb players on video frame by frame and compare.  Kind of the DIY method.