Skip to main content

Reply to "Agents/Advisors and College Eligibility"

The part of the rule that they focus on and can enforce is impermissible benefits. So don’t let an “advisor” pay for a cup of coffee, a dinner, a drink, etc. Also no “hey we have these cleats for him” or “here’s a glove.” I agree that the rule needs to be updated and they actually did for college basketball by officially allowing players to test the waters with representation without losing eligibility.

I would also say, watching my son and a lot of his friends go through the process, not only are not all advisors the same but college coaches also act in very different (sometimes uncomfortable) ways. Son’s coaches were great but that wasn’t the case for all of his teammates and friends. Finally, and we made this mistake and ended up fixing it, there is no rush to even unofficially align yourself with anyone. Interview a lot of people. You will get a ton of information on the process and the advisor and his/her company through these interviews.  You will start to get a sense halfway through the HS season where your son really is and whether it makes sense to move further down the process.