Skip to main content

Reply to "Agent's Fees"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mde5:
"hmm..I have been watching and reading these posts for th last week or so...and I see alot of people questioning voodoochile about ...EVERY word he types. Whether we agree with him or not...his style or not...he does have a right to voice his opinion in any manner in which he wants. I haven't seen any of his posts attacking anyone...unless he was attacked first. None of us are asked to expose who we are, what we do, what credentials we have or don't have. If he gives information that doesn't seem right...disgard it or don't follow his advice at all, it is everyone's choice."

Know you didn't ask for it but thanks.

"when it comes to talking contracts, is it really necessary to see how good the player is? he was drafted in a certain round, which means he will only get certain money...and the scouts makes sure the player gets his share...based on the "slotting". "

Stated previously that there are exceptions every year. It all has to do with leverage i.e. how good a job you can do of planting the fear in the other side that you just might walk way from the deal.

"I know lawyers who negotiate contracts all the time with out even knowing the details of the work being preformed. The do it based on the documents and data provided from others....why should this be any different."

Agreed 100%

"A scout who is successful has an eye for talent and projectability...but not the letter of the law...the give and take."

Agreed 100%

"The lawyer has an understanding of the letter of the law...the game of negotiation, why would he care if the player could play or not?"

#1 not all Agents are lawyers
#2 Only would want to know from the standpoint of what his own opinion is. You're right re: where MLB has placed him which is a HUGE part of his leverage i.e. it's worse for a team to have a #3 pick walk away than a #23.

"he isn't going to get a 10 rounder, 5th round money...if he does, I want him to represent my son some day...sight un seen..."

Again there are exceptions. I've had clients drafted in the 4th round get 2nd round money, had one this year in the 12th round get approx 7th-9th round money. All depends on the kid & his family being determined to get a certain figure to give up amateur status.