Skip to main content

Reply to "Air Force Academy"

Adbono's advice is spot on.  My son is a catcher at the Naval Academy (and was recruited by AF) and I can tell you it is a very different experience than a regular college.  The baseball part is very similar, however.  They follow all the same rules regarding schedules, practice time, etc as any other NCAA D1 school.  Coaches recruit lots of players and have prioritized A, B and C players like other schools.  Coaches tell stories and you have to learn how to read between the lines, just like other schools.  Coaches are tough and demanding, just like other schools.  One area that is different is summer baseball - some guys play, but in my son's case he had Marine Leatherneck training and flight school this summer, so no baseball for him.  That's one of the many tradeoffs.  

Another thing my son had to get used to was that, as a catcher, he catches bullpens after practice, and many days they don't finish up until after the dining hall closes (at the Academies they all eat together).  He also isn't allowed to leave campus to get food and of course no deliveries are allowed.  He figured it out, and it's one of the many little things that are different but make you tougher and more resilient.

You didn't mention anything about grades and test scores, but their academic requirements are similar to Ivy schools.

My son loves it.  There are so many opportunities and so much training available to them (how many college kids learn how to fly and do a solo before graduation?).  But, it isn't for everyone.  There are so many sides to this so feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to discuss further.