Skip to main content

Reply to "Air Force Academy recruiting process"

jdb posted:

My son is a freshman (plebe/doolie in academy parlance) at one of the other service academies, but he went through the appointment process for USAFA as well.  I will tell you that Service Academies are a very different animal. 

You must earn a congressional nomination, pass the Dodmerb (Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board) medical screening, and pass a Cadet Fitness Test (CFA) before you are even eligible for an appointment to the academy.  The nomination activities must be completed by recruited athletes, just like all other candidates, and it takes several months to complete the process.  Dodmerb can reject an athlete, who is in excellent physical condition, for something like a peanut allergy.  The CFA is a fitness test that includes a basketball throw, shuttle run, pull ups, sit ups, push ups, and a one mile run; it has tripped up otherwise excellent athletes who just could not pass certain parts of this test.  

The academies are just below the Ivies in academic rigor.  The average unweighted GPA for USAFA cadets runs at around 3.88 and the average ACT score is 30.  Most of the cadets were at the top of their class in high school, and academic competition at the academies is ruthless.

As for Baseball, my son's experience, albeit limited, is that the academies over recruit.  In some ways, I suppose that it's understandable.  Once a cadet is accepted into the academy, he can quit playing his sport and not lose his "scholarship."  Almost every year there are athletes who use the recruitment process to get into the academy, then quit once they have secured an appointment.  My son said that there was a significant number of "recruited" players in his class who did not make the fall team, and even fewer will make the team this spring.  Some are disillusioned and may leave the academy at the end of the year.  Most will stay and take full advantage of receiving a world class education, on the governments dime, then repay the costs through service to their country.

If your son has dreams of playing baseball professionally one day; the academies are not the way to go.  If your son wants to have a normal college experience; the academies are not the way to go.  If your son doesn't want to serve his country for at least five years after he graduates; the academies are not the way to go.

If your son does decide to pursue and ultimately secures an appointment, get ready because your in for a wild ride.

JDB is right on with his assessment of USAFA. My son is there now, not as a baseball player but as a cadet. If your son is there just for the baseball then probably not the place for him. I also saw that GOV had offered up his service, I would contact him as he is very knowledgeable. Good luck!