Skip to main content

Reply to "AL Wild Card Race"

quote:
Originally posted by smalltownmom:
Crawford is an example of a player drafted and brought up through the Ray system who was an absolute stud for our team-- MVP last year. He won't stay down, but I can't imagine why he would want to play in such a hostile environment. One day Sox fans are going to figure out that all that hate doesn't breed better ballplayers-- just tightens them up. I'm hoping they don't though, cause it just helps the other "soft" (sarcasm)teams.
Perfect example of a great system though, we lose Crawford and don't miss a beat. Desmond Jennings comes in and proven his worth out there in LF. It just impresses me so how this team plays as a team and believes in each other. Can't imagine any parent not wanting their pitcher son to be drafted by the Rays. Their recent track record for drafting and developing pitchers is just incredible.
It's not hatred. After a guy signs a mega contract he's not supposed to hit .170 for the first third of the season and .255 overall. He played the entire seasoin like a deer in the headlights. He can't handle the pressure of the limelight. No one in Tampa cared if he failed. In Boston we care.

The worst thing Crawford did was apologize in the paper. The best apology would have been production down the stretch. When he placed the apology in the paper in early September it looked like he was giving up on the season.

The Rays should have a great track record in the draft. Until three years ago they had one of the top picks and a top pick in the second round every year forever.
Last edited by RJM