Skip to main content

Reply to "Alabama firing baseball coach Brad Bohannon amid betting probe"

During the Alabama broadcast tonight, they explained that a typical college regular season baseball game - even with a big name school like LSU, might only see about 35 dollars wagered.  Almost no money is bet on college baseball in the regular season.  The tipoff that started the suspicion was a large wager bet on Alabama versus LSU with LSU's top pitcher going that night.  I can understand how they could figure out who placed the bet, but how they figured out who that person was talking to has me concerned.  Did they read his lips? (doubtful).  Somehow they got access to that phone conversation.  I'll say this, I think if there is a link between the coach and the bettor, then he should have been fired.

I have been concerned about cell phone privacy for a long time.  I have been in the high tech industry my whole career and people have no idea how nefariously entities are exploiting them these days.  Privacy no longer exists.  For instance, you have a private conversation with someone (not on your cell phone), then all of a sudden you start getting push ads on social media and email relating to the content of the conversation.  I am not sure anymore that even if your cell phone power button is off that the phone is still not monitoring things.

Some good sense of humor in this thread however.  I think they should hire adbono as AD and he should name Pete Rose the next coach.