Skip to main content

Reply to "All by myself"

We just went through our first season in MiLB.  Everything that TPM offered is accurate so I'll insert a few personal experiences that also might be helpful.

• Unfortunately, there is no hand holding to get you from point A to point B, you figure that out by yourself.  That includes where to be when its time to report either to ST or your assigned town, lodging, transportation, eating [nutritional stuff, not easy fast food] and most importantly, finding out which guys to stay away from away from the field.  These issues mention are why I believe 3 to 4 years of college can better prepare one to not only handle the stress of off the field issues but the physical ones on the field during a long season. A lot happens to a young man physically and in maturity between the ages of 17 to 21.
  • One of the most annoying aspects of MiLB is reassignments on a moments notice with no time to collect all of your stuff and to get your affairs in order.  They expect you to be on that plane/bus and in the next town by the next day.  My son got called to 2 new locations and was told after 11pm and expected to be on the redeye flight the next morning. Had to arrange his own transportation to the airport.
  • Be careful about going into a lease with several other guys you just met, as some or most of you could end up getting reassigned and breaking a lease can get expensive.  If you have a good agent, he should look at that lease and negotiate it for you since you are in such a fluid  situation.  Now to think about it, that's a good word to describe the whole process -FLUID.  Also, remember to take a checkbook/debit card with 100's of $'s in your account since you don't get your first paycheck for about 3 weeks.
  • Make sure you arrange for a good reimbursement for college after baseball if it doesn't work out before signing that MiLB contract.  Again, something for your agent/advisor to look into.
  • Last but not least, expect bad things to happen...injuries, releases, demotions, personality conflicts to mention a few. When and if they happen, deal with it maturely, then move on.   If you can keep yourself grounded in an situation where your emotions might cause more harm, then you'll smoothe the pathway forward and maybe earn some respect from those who make the decisions.

Hope your son will have an enjoyable experience. 

Signing off!