Skip to main content

Reply to "All Hype-Where is the performance?"

I would vote for Bauer as Pitcher of the Year. He's been unbelievable.

I still think Cole will go first and I would pick him first. It very well could be that Bauer will end up with a better career.

I base it on this... If both pitchers are at their very best, Gerritt Cole as as good as anyone who has ever lived. I have seen that and so have many others. I've also seen him not so good and have seen hitters hit him that shouldn't have a prayer.

To me it's all about who has the highest ceiling. It's not about what is happening now against college hitters. IMO, nobody has a higher ceiling than Gerritt Cole.

I can also see why some might pick Bauer first. He is amazing!

How often does the first pitcher selected become the best pitcher? Then again, how often does the best college pitcher become the best MLB pitcher? Who is to say that Bundy or Bradley or any of the other pitchers in this draft might end up being the best.

These kind of discussions are interesting with lots of good opinions. There are many things to consider when it comes to the draft. Money and other things often affect decisions.

Usually I wouldn't put much weight on this, but Cole was a first rounder out of high school. He should have been picked much higher, but everyone knew he was a tough sign. He went to college turning down millions. This automatically creates hype. People don't get this kind of hype for no reason. Along with that hype comes tremendous pressure. Everything comes a bit easier for those who aren't the top dog.

Truth is... Both are going to go early in all likelyhood. Maybe they both become two of the best pitchers in the Big leagues. Maybe neither one reaches that level.

History is the only thing that shows us the best decisions. Anything before that is just a guessing game by all.

To summerize, IMO... At this time, I actually think Bauer might be the safer bet. I could see him getting there early and doing well. I think Cole has the higher ceiling! Right or wrong... I always like the highest ceiling guys more because the safest bets don't always turn out that way. I think Cole has two chances. #1 starter or top closer.

Heck, maybe Bundy is the best! Someday we will find out who was the best pick. Maybe someone gets Purke to sign and he ends up being the best. Maybe it will be Gray, Jungmann, Fernandez, Norris, Bradley, Hultzen, Chafin, etc. Or maybe the best will be someone unexpected. Nobody knows for sure! Fun to talk about though.