Skip to main content

Reply to "All Hype-Where is the performance?"

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
The Friday night analysis doesn't make much sense to me. That might affect wins and losses but it doesn't have that big of an effect on ERA imho. UCLA doesn't score a whole lot of runs to begin with. So the fact Cole may of had a few less runs to work with doesn't make a whole lot of difference in this case. They both faced essentially the same hitters with essentially the same run support and one guy did better than the other in those circumstances.

Well, since the Friday night analysis was mine, I'll attempt to respond. I like both kids; they have electric stuff, and they'll be pitching in the Show in the very near future. Who is the better pitcher on the 2011 Bruins staff? Hands down, Trevor Bauer. But we all know that the executives in the professional ranks are projecting who is going to help them in the next two, five, ten years? I still stand by my original "Friday" statement...especially as it pertains to weaker offenses. The Bruins offense doesn't put a ton of runs on the board, especially when facing the opponents Friday starter. I'm not going to spend the time to compare run support between Bauer and Cole, but I'd bet that Bauer receives more between the two. IMHO, run support makes a big difference when it comes to pitching statistics. If I am pitching to a lineup with a lead, my mentality on the bump will be more apt to be aggressive. Here's another "Football Analysis" to chew on....I'll use my Chargers! Smile If Phillip Rivers lights up the Raiders D in the first half and gives the team a decent lead, this will generally free up the defense to be more aggressive and take chances with different blitz packages, etc...something the coaching staff may not do in a close football game? Pitching is Defense! If the Offense does their job, the Defense (pitcher) can relax and be more aggressive...JMO.

CD...I like your Mitchell/Harris analysis. You're a few years older than I am Razz, so I don't remember their college careers. But I do recall Mitchell having a few good years with the Colts as an all purpose RB, and of course Franco Harris is a HOF RB. Now if the Steelers had chosen Mitchell with that pick, he'd most likely be in our Immaculate Reception conversations. I'd also like to think that Mitchell would have put up bigger numbers if he had the opportunity to lineup behind Bradshaw and that impressive offensive line of the 70's.

I'm headed out the door on my way to the Los Angeles Regional to check out the Anteaters tonight. They'll be playing the winner of the UCLA/USF game this afternoon. I won't have the chance to see either one of the Bruin studs on the mound, but I'll be happy to report to you which of the two stand in the dugout with more Swagger! Big Grin HaHaHa...Like I said before, they're both great players, we can all agree with that! BUT...my family is headed to LA to root for one team, Rip Em Eaters!