Skip to main content

Reply to "All things Jupiter?"

old_school posted:
Shoveit4Ks posted:

Son is using Trackman now and they it is impacting he approach and application of the pitches he throws. Always had high spin rate on 4 seam (4th highers in Jupiter) and CB ( Top 10 in Jupiter) but he is able to recognize his arm slot per pitch and manipulate that to improve deception. 

Cool stuff.

As i read the volleys above i think of the scene in Moneyball (the movies always embellish things of course) of the room of old school scouts and the bah humbug attitude of analytics and Brad Pitt buying in with Jonah Hill on the analytics. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtumWOsgFXc

it was a great movie...when was the last time the A's won WS? LOL I know they have budget problems but the game is more then just numbers, it is a combination.

Great movie.  Analytics plus Mulder, Hudson, Zito, Harang, Koch, Tejeda, Chavez, and Dye.  Didn't hear those guys mentioned much, or at all.

Sticking point for the movie for me was their representation of "Old School" as a fat, bumbling, tobacco spitting man.  I understand this was necessary for the plot.  Art Howe was a very good man and a very good baseball player.

But I get the premise of the movie.

(Note to no one in particular: "Old School" reference has nothing to do with my good friend and esteemed hsbbwebber old_school.)