Skip to main content

Reply to "Am I over paying?"

Originally Posted by BigLeaugeChew:

Hey, I am a newbie here. I have been reading the posts here for the last week, and I am really glad I found this great community.

My oldest son 2017  has been on a travel team for the past 4 years. The fall of 2014 he played many regular games, and played in 2 college showcase tournaments. The cost for this was $350- not too bad. However, this upcoming spring and summer, the team is a 100% college showcase team. There are 10 showcase tournaments. Perfect Game, Diamond Nation, and a few D1 Universities.  With winter training we are being asked to pay $1950.00 Being paid in full by mid March. First tournament is the first week of June.

I am a little peeved that the coach just tells us last week about the price and payments. 

Does this seem reasonable? 12-14 kid roster. 

How much is the cost for a team to enter one of these college showcases? 

I don't have a problem paying for my kids to play, but this seams excessive to me. In the itemized sheet we were given, the coach wants $350 from each player for his travel expenses,coaching, college list and recruiting development. The $1950 includes this cost. That's about $27,000 in fees for the team.

Please let me know what you guys think. I do plan on bringing him to a couple of the schools that he would like to attend for their recruiting baseball camps. Those camps are minimal in cost. $100-$125.

I am having a hard time with these fees from the coach and just want to know if you guys think they are about right. Thanks in advance for your replies. BLC 

That certainly is the amount we pay here in Texas for a showcase season.  That price would not include travel and uniforms - just your roster spot and training with a chance to earn your playing time. I will say some clubs / travel teams here do have a lesser fee for pitcher only kids.  Many programs here in Dallas are much more than $2000 for less than 10 exposure opportunities.