Skip to main content

Reply to "AMAZING!!!"

Mr. Funnel,

I appreciate your concern and efforts to monitor pitchers and their pitch counts. It is important for high school coaches to understand what is acceptable in the proper developement of high school aged pitchers.

I do have a few questions for you and the board though. What exactly constitutes a maximum pitch count? When should this number be implemented in relation to time of year? What is that magic number and why?

It is my opinion that these questions are drastically different for each individual pitcher. For example, a pitcher that labors with mechanics should be shut down sooner than a guy who maintains a fluid arm action. Also, I believe you must monitor pitches in bullpen prior to live game situations. Some arms require much less "warming up" than others resulting in a more flexible pitch count for the quick "warm up" guy. Then there are the guys who have recently started pitching this year yet are immediately put on the numerical pitch count that is the norm for starting pitchers. This is no good in my opinion also.

I think there are "magic numbers" put into effect by high school coaches from what they hear on TV from big league guys. Remember folks, these are 16-18 year old arms. Which means they could throw more or less depending on the issues I have listed above.

This topic makes me think of when, where, and why the all important "pitch count" originated. What mad baseball scientist came up with the formula and how was that formula implented?

I think pitch counts are important, but I think what, when, why, who, and how we implement these pitch counts is the real issue to be concerned with. Not just the magic number.
Last edited by Ken Guthrie