Skip to main content

Reply to "American Legion WS"

I love things like Legion ball.  I hope it and the others like it survive...and thrive.  At a Durham Bulls game the other night, I sat next to an elderly gentleman, a veteran, who is an officer in the Legion baseball chain.  Delightful man - just loves to run some of the tournaments and get to know the kids.  He had a story about many of them.  Just good ole' Americana.  I'd go to a Legion game over a travel game as a fan, any day.

And I know I'm swimming upstream here, but I remain thankful that our sons stayed in community ball (mostly PONY) as long as they did.  Both through 9th grade, at least part time.  Our younger one even went back to it (Palomino) after his senior year in HS - as recommended by his soon-to-be college coach.

'Its just important for you to have fun this summer,' is what he said when we asked if he would be placed in a college summer league.  Advice might have been different for a hitter?  I don't know.

Yes, community ball isn't as good, especially when you get to HS.  But its still your friends, its fun, its your home town and you can still improve as a player.  And at least in our sons' cases, it did no long-term damage.

Just how I feel - and they feel too.

Last edited by justbaseball