Skip to main content

Reply to "American Meritocracy Is Killing Youth Sports (?)"

My son played the majority of his pre-HS baseball in a local league that had a policy in place preventing kids from doing both travel and league. This was instituted supposedly for arm protection since it could not be relied upon that the coaches and parents could appropriately coordinate to ensure kids doing both were having pitch counts monitored, etc. There were a lot of kids that left the park so this was modified to permit some travel play if the travel team was "endorsed" by one of the league organization managers. It worked ok but the park still saw a significant exodus of players over a period of two or three years. Seems to me, a big part of this was simply parents thinking their kids were better, or more "projectable," than they actually were and that travel teams were where their kids needed to be. I'm certainly not one to question that but on my son's league team was also the son of a former Cy Young winner, who spoke at one of the park fundraising banquets when they joined. He opened with the statement "None of your kids are going to play in the major leagues." He went on to explain the statement, of course, but it resonated with me and I think it's definitely something that more parents should pay attention to.