Skip to main content

Reply to "An ugly baseball thought ..."

I think this Corona virus "inspired" online college experience is going to legitimize online education.  Right now every school in the country is charging full-freight tuition for an online education, and not getting any blow-back.  When they get into the job market or grad school no one is going to say, "yeah but you took one year of Princeton online".

Having done this, I can see top quality universities expanding their class sizes by including an online component of their incoming classes.  Imagine UCLA or Stanford accepting students for their online program Freshman year instead of deferring them.  They can grow revenue immediately and fill-in their on campus housing as students drop or transfer out.

The side effect is that 2nd tier colleges and universities will lose top students, and will have to backfill with lower students... and so on, as stuff rolls down hill.

I think this is going to have a profound effect on the ability of mediocre universities to survive.  Many of these schools charge $50-70k and aren't known outside of their region.  Why pay top dollar for no-name college if you can get a degree from Top State U or Top Private U for the same or less money.