Skip to main content

Reply to "An ugly baseball thought ..."

Gunner Mack Jr. posted:

Smitty - I totally agree that the Covid situation is normalizing online education and that top schools could / should enroll more students to e-learning.   Watching both my kids e-learn, one in college and one a senior in high school I am currently not very impressed.   It seems the workload is lighter, there are more pass/fail options, withdrawals without consequence etc...   These things are likely more a consequence of the quick move to e-learning.   College is also about networking, learning to live away from home which includes finding "work" life balance and of course playing baseball.   Your point is right though - things have certainly changed going forward.   

For me though my biggest concern is what will happen to colleges that are forced to go remote in September, they likely can't adjust costs this quickly.  They will cut what they deem "non-essential" or sports that don't make money.  As you say second-tier schools and below won't be able to enroll more students quickly and then they have to figure out what to do with them when campuses open.  The perspective of posters who work at colleges would be helpful.  I know there is at least one.

I think e learning can work but it is not for every kid. In Germany there has been a big remote university for more than a decade and they have lots of students, many of them doing that in the evening after work but you need to have the discipline.

Sure in theory college students are adults but we all know that we weren't fully mature at 18-19 and at home there are lots of distractions especially the internet.

Not every student can motivate himself as well in that environment as he can in a class setting with peers and a professor.

Also many social aspects of college are missing in e learning.

Overall e learning will increase but I don't think replacing college fully with e learning (including closing the social and sports aspect of college) is good.

Last edited by Dominik85