Skip to main content

Reply to "An ugly baseball thought ..."

Dominik85 posted:
Gunner Mack Jr. posted:

I think e learning can work but it is not for every kid. In Germany there has been a big remote university for more than a decade and they have lots of students, many of them doing that in the evening after work but you need to have the discipline.

Sure in theory college students are adults but we all know that we weren't fully mature at 18-19 and at home there are lots of distractions especially the internet.

Not every student can motivate himself as well in that environment as he can in a class setting with peers and a professor.

Also many social aspects of college are missing in e learning.

Overall e learning will increase but I don't think replacing college fully with e learning (including closing the social and sports aspect of college) is good.

I like to compare some online learning to online hitting instruction.  That is what my son is going through right now (the HS hitting coach is working with everybody remotely).  It is better than nothing, but obviously not as good as in person.  For most graduate level courses, online can work reasonably well, but for undergraduate courses that are important (i.e. Major courses that are challenging), it is not good.  Laboratory courses is a whole other animal that probably are as useful as the online hitting lessons, but again, better than nothing.