Skip to main content

Reply to "And he’s off..."

@PTWood posted:

@old_school I think it's great. They say one of the hardest things about devoting so much time to playing sports is that sometimes your identity gets tied up into it so much that you have to figure yourself out when you no longer have "the game" as your life... Spending time with them without talking about sports reinforces the fact that they are so much more to you. Just my opinion...

My son grew up with how the sports were going as a main focus at our large family Thanksgivings. The Thanksgiving after college graduation he got asked how the job is going. He turned to me, laughed and commented he’s now as boring as the rest of us.

His sister is older. Since none of the women outside mom (and girlfriend after divorce) played sports and the guys weren’t all that interested in women’s sports she didn’t get much of the sports talk.

My son enjoyed the sports talk. My daughter enjoyed not getting it. After being a prosecutor the past five years with some high profile cases in a family full of lawyers she’s been getting the talk attention. But this summer she became a boring, well paid lawyer.