Skip to main content

Reply to "Andrews Study Pointing in Favor of College's "New Baseball Model""

@PitchingFan posted:

I wonder if the number of injuries this spring will go up because many pitchers did not get the conditioning in this year that their arm is used to and then will be stressed next year if they play.  But maybe the year off helps their arms.  I reckon we will find out. 

South Carolina HS is considering going to fall baseball and one of the winningest coaches is opposed to it.  Says the kids coming in after summer ball will put too much stress on their arms.  But I believe since he is loaded with lots of ranked talent, he is worried that guys will choose to play the big showcase stuff and not high school ball this fall if that is an option.  I was thinking I'm sure my son would have chosen the large PG tournaments his senior year, especially going to Jupiter, over HS ball.  Could be interesting.

I was wondering if the fall HS baseball thing would catch on in FL. There are a few tournaments in September and October, but nothing a coach couldn't carefully schedule around. If it were up to me though, I'd rather my son play for his travel team than the school team. 

I think you will see more arm injuries in the next year. Kids rest periods and ramp up periods are all thrown off. Usually there are no tournaments in August. My son is scheduled for 2 right now and I bet at least one more is added.