Skip to main content

Reply to "Andrews Study Pointing in Favor of College's "New Baseball Model""

@gamecock303 posted:

Im in SC and I'm not really in favor of the proposed season switch.  A lot of the coaches that I have seen comment on it are from bigger/better programs that likely won't have many problems adapting to it, personally I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum in that I'm not sure what our team would even look like if we were to switch seasons.  From my understanding of the proposal we would only get 2 weeks prior to the start of the season to work with our kids which leads me to worry about whether it will be enough to get our kids ready when most of our kids don't play travel ball or anything outside the high school season and probably haven't picked up a ball since things got shut down in March.  The single elimination playoff proposal also sucks and while I'm not a huge fan of the proposed shrinking of the number of teams in the playoffs I have long thought that too many teams make the playoffs in every sport here.  The reduction in the number of games allowed also bothers me particularly for a sport that has already had one season halted (we were 6 days into the regular season when things go shut down this spring) and now they are cutting the number of allowed games by 40%, I think, for another season.

Another concern of mine is what happens moving forward, IF things go as planned and we play this spring then we face the possibility of going from November of 2020 (possibly earlier for teams that don't make the playoffs) until December/January of 2021 before being able to get our kids on the field. 

I have concerns over not only being able to play this fall due to the virus but also due to the weather.  I believe the last 3 or 4 years we have lost time during football season due to hurricanes so I worry about what the contingency plan will be for that this year.

My final and biggest concern is what happens if/when we are unable to play this fall.  Supposedly the plan is to move back the the "spring 2" season but there are over laps between the seasons which leads me to worry about what happens at small schools where not only do the various sports share athletes but they also share coaches.  Our head coach also coaches football so he could potentially be unavailable not only for the first week or so of the season but but also for the 2 weeks that we actually do get to work with the kids before the season starts.  The mix up of the seasons also has me worried about what multi sport athletes are going to do, if we played in the fall it wouldn't be much of a concern but playing in the spring would cause a problem for our program in particular as we would be playing right after football season and at the same time as wrestling.  We have several guys who play football and I wonder how many would skip baseball and opt to prepare for the following football season.  We also have 4 or 5 wrestlers on our team which typically goes deep into the playoffs and 3 I believe who qualified for the individual championships this year (1 who won his weight class and the other 2 placed in the top 4 I believe) and I would be surprised if they chose baseball over wrestling.

Very surprised to hear you have dual sport  baseball players and wrestlers.  One of my  sons wrestled through college and the other stopped earlier in HS to focus on baseball.  He was concerned, rightly imo, that injury risk (particularly to shoulder/arm/wrist) was too prevalent. 

As for the study, seems pretty clear even without the data from lost year that the NCAA would benefit from some kind of adjustment.  I don’t favor the swapping of seasons but do think pushing it back a month for longer on-ramping would make sense.