Skip to main content

Reply to "Angry parents/kids"

In middle school a bunch of Pop Warner parents were upset my son had never played organized football and started his first game. Most football parents didn’t know who I was. I sat there, took in all the insults and enjoyed watching my son play.

In 8th grade my son was invited to practice with the varsity baseball team a few times. The current junior shortstop was a good ball player. He went on to play mid major as an outfielder. He was a horrible shortstop. I believe my son was invited to practice with the varsity to put pressure on him the following year. It got back to me the word was the best defensive shortstop (my son) was only in middle school.

In reality, the varsity coach had no intention of having my son start at short freshman year. He didn’t believe in freshmen playing varsity. He was the last varsity cut. He played JV and walked into the short job soph year. He was the first soph to start opening day in six years. There were displeased parents.

A couple were thrilled and screamed at him when he was picked off first to end the season. They missed the post season by one game. These two parents completely overlooked his two out, two rbi single made it 6-5. My son was fast. Everyone in the park knew he wa going. The pitcher caught him leaning for the third out. They completely overlooked he had already been named all conference.

Because I was a known travel coach the high school coaches chatted with me. It was general baseball talk. It was never about my son. But, that’s not what was said in all the rumors.

I was on the youth sports board and the baseball and basketball committees as my kids were growing up.. I was accustomed to the rumors I was influencing situations. All you can do is ignore the noise.