Skip to main content

Reply to "Announcing commitment on social media"

This topic is about posting offers on social media - or not. Assuming that the goal is to play college baseball it only stands to reason that you wouldn’t want to do something that would reduce the chance of that happening.

I read the last post by @SpeedDemon before it was deleted. Paraphrasing from memory it said (among other things) : “The times they are a changin’. Young athletes have a lot of power. The oldheads that think they control this board are gonna find out.”

So much to unpack there, but I will start with this. What dictates how things operate in any industry are market conditions. In amateur baseball there are more good players than there are roster spots. This is especially true at the college level. That means supply exceeds demand. And not by a little. By a mile. That means the market conditions overwhelmingly favor the schools. That’s why they continue to get away with all the things that go on that make it a challenge to get recruited, make a roster, and actually get on the field to play college baseball. No coach  wants a clubhouse lawyer, a radical, or an activist on his team. Baseball is a team sport and players that put themselves before the team are a cancer. They kill team chemistry. And good team chemistry is essential for a team to reach its potential. Players that promote themselves over the team don’t get recruited - unless they are a superstar. Baseball parents that promote individuality over team are setting their kids up for epic failure. As a parent I believe that you should empower your kids in a way that will help them be successful. There is a lot of good advice on this board about how to do that. Since we still enjoy free speech (to some extent) there is also some occasional bad advice. It’s important to be able to discern the difference. A “me first” attitude is for individual sports. Not team sports.