Skip to main content

Reply to "Anonymous Part II"

Orlando brings up two very good points. One, when they are younger our son’s “baseball worth” is unproven and if we go out on a limb and tell all (as we think it is) we stand the chance of looking rather stupid after it plays out. Secondly I agree with her when she says the name of the poster means nothing but the resume means everything when it comes to the credibility of the post.

I have had some pretty cheap shots taken at me by those hiding behind their anonymousness. However the impact is small because they have no face. I always thought it was impossible to be effectively outspoken while remaining anonymous.

I decided a long time ago that being anonymous was not my style. I wanted to share my experiences and I wanted the reader to understand where I was coming from. I have never claimed to be baseball savvy nor have I ever felt my son was the greatest thing that happened to the game. I was caught up in my son’s baseball, the recruiting process and the draft and saw it unfold with out being “influenced” by previous knowledge. Big Grin I may not know as much as most but I sure paid attention. I wanted to share this from my perspective and the only way I could do this was to describe my perspective. This meant describing my thoughts, where I came from, where I lived, what I did, and who I really was. I admit I was very vulnerable but I think the members on the HSBBW understood my goals and protected my vulnerability. My son also understands that I post some things about him but he’s OK with that. My openness did create a few problems for him too. One time his college coach called him in and asked him about something I posted on the HSBBW. My son told the coach my opinions were my own and he would have to talk to me about that. Of course the coach never did.

Most anonymous posters have my respect but they need to understand they limit themselves to the impact the have on the hsbbw. There will always be those that step forward and give a face to the information they share. The HSBBW has to have “real people” in order to continue in a sensible manner. I especially appreciate Julie and Bob --- two well known people that have given so much ---- they have shared their lives so that the HSBBW can continue ---- Bob started the tradition of giving the person that wanted to protect their identity the same opportunity as everyone else. Sure it creates problems but only with problem people ---- it also creates opportunities for those good people wanting information.
Fungo