Skip to main content

Reply to "Anonymous Part II"

I hope it doesn't sound too wishy-washy to say: Good answers on both sides of this question.

I totally appreciate those parents, coaches, scouts, players and baseball fans who are willing to let people know who they are in the "real world" (honest, this isn't the real world). Wink Knowing someone's true identity helps you understand their basis for giving advice. And isn't it so interesting when a player like Shane (AHS) is willing to let us look into the life of a minor league player through his posts? Or a parent whose son is in pro ball shares those stories? Or a baseball professional gives us some behind the scenes looks?

But I also understand those who want to remain anonymous - as long as they don't use that anonymity to bash anyone.

Here is a dilemma that I personally face about "to be or not to be ... anonymous, that is":

I sometimes post a few thoughts about the path of the less visible college player, like my son. I love the fact that we have families here of pro players and top DI college players. But I also want to make sure that newcomers and visitors know that this site is for THEIR son, whether he is the player "on the bubble" to make the HS varsity team, or the HS senior wondering if he will find a place to play in college. This site is for MY son 4 or 5 years ago, figuring out which level of college ball might be the best fit for him, which turned out to be DIII. This site is for ME in more recent years, dealing as a mom with watching my son struggle with both the academic demands of college, AND some big bumps in the road of his college baseball experience. I sometimes want to post even more candidly about those struggles to let other parents know they are not alone. But at times I hold back a bit because a lot of people can figure out who my son is, and I don't want to embarrass him!

Anyway, I'm sure you all know that everyone is welcome here, and it is acceptable to remain anonymous. Even the poster above who said "anonymity is for cowards" or something like that ... I think he might have meant that taking cheap shots from the cover of anonymity is cowardly.

I also want to say that one of the best parts about being involved in this site has been the opportunity to meet some other members in person, and talk to a few others by phone. That is so cool to be able to put not just a name, but a voice and sometimes a face with the screen name. But there are a lot of other members who I hope to meet soon! Not Coach May though ... I'm afraid that he is going to make me do one of those workouts! Just kidding of course ... he would be on my list of folks I hope to meet when we all go to watch the first HSBBWeb tourney team!!! Big Grin

Julie

EDIT:

This post is already reeea-l-l-ly long, but I wanted to add something. The little story I told above is not a sad story! In spite of the bumps and turns and twists in the road, my son is having the best years of his life in college. It is a privilege and a joy for him to play college baseball, in spite of injuries and other surprises. His baseball teammates are now among his best friends, and some of them will probably remain his friends for the rest of his life. Not every kid in Little League gets to play HS baseball, and not every HS baseball player gets to play in college. If your son is able to earn a spot on any college team, I hope he enjoys the ride, and I hope you (his parent) do, too!
Last edited by MN-Mom