Skip to main content

Reply to "enough advice...thanks..."

No matter how much of an A-hole the coach may be, there seems to be a disconnect or parts missing to the story.  The coach or coaches took the time to put a letter together for you.  That is not consistent with a knee-jerk spur-of-the-moment over-reaction.  If you don't mind, what was the basic premise of the letter?  Could there be any substance to any of it?  Might your son have said something that was mis-interpreted?  If the HC is historically the problem, then why did two other coaches react toward your son so negatively before it even got to the HC?  You commented that your son was a teenager and wasn't perfect.  I'm trying to read between the lines and maybe get some of the other side of the story.

How did the meeting come about and who initiated it?  What is the objective?  Why would a coach who doesn't want the kid around the HS team be OK with him being present at the academy?

You, your son and his buddies could be totally right and the whole thing is because there is a bad coach and/or staff in place.  But there could be something else underneath this that could be an eye-opening learning opportunity for everyone.  I would suggest going to that meeting prepared with your position but with an open mind and lots of exploratory questions.

Over the years, we have had many kids leave our program.  Most partings have been very amicable.  Some have not.  Of those where the player and/or parent thought they were being wronged, a very high percentage moved on, only to find themselves in a situation where they "were being screwed again" by the next coach with the next team, in the next sport or in the next town.  So, to be frank, there was a common denominator on their side that they were not willing to see.  I am not saying this is your situation.  I'm only trying to help make sure you are open to finding out.

We will be anxious to hear how the meeting goes.  Best of luck.

BTW, to answer one of your questions - HS ball is not an absolute requirement for pursuing the game at higher levels.  

Last edited by cabbagedad